As the CTO at noise, I was responsible for managing the IT, Devops and QA departments. As an IT generalist, my day frequently consisted of configuring and patching servers, IT infrastructure planning, application architecture and database tuning, and technical strategy for noise and our clients. In my role as Corporate Security Officer, I was responsible for our security policies, corporate audits, application security and company-wide security awareness training.
I successfully transitioned noise from a company that wasn’t using version control when I started to a company that uses automated deployment and continuous integration technologies such as Chef and Jenkins, with emphasis on transparency, accountability and reporting.
- Mentored younger developers
- Developed best-practices coding standards and web application security standards adopted by the entire development team
- Managed risk management for all internal and client web applications
- Managed, monitored and performance-tuned upwards of 50 LAMP servers across Rackspace and AWS for high-performance, high-profile client projects for Chase Bank, GE and others
- Wrote deployment scripts to establish a development workflow using GitHub, DeployHQ and AWS auto-scalers which allowed one-click deployment with full change history
- Developed a hybrid physical and cloud server solution utilizing aggressive caching using RackConnect at Rackspace for a client application that received over half a million visits a day.
- Architected and built high-performance PHP/MySQL applications leveraging Facebook, Youtube and Twitter APIs.
- MySQL performance tuning using the Percona toolset.
Additional accomplishments included:
- Playing a key role in technical and social strategy for clients such as Sunkist, GE, Intel, Chase, JP Morgan, Panasonic, CBS, University of California, EA, Unilever, Sears, Coca-Cola, Amazon and vitaminwater
- Leading the noise social media strategy, managing our social networking accounts and spearheading a company blog
- Implementing a formal helpdesk system
- Creating an PHP/MySQL open source asset/license management system for IT asset/inventory tracking
- Continuing to work towards automating deployment and configuration management for our essential systems
I also sat on the Culture Board at noise, which focuses on personal development, mentoring and retention programs (and fun!) for employees.